Makes 6 portions
Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 45 mins
A great beef mince is invaluable for family meals and is another dish worth making in bulk and popping in the freezer for a rainy day. If you’ve got ready-made mince, this recipe is quick to make and a real crowd-pleaser.
For the beef mince:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 3 rashers bacon, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 400g beef mince
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes, blended
- 1/2 cup (125ml) beef stock or water
- 1 bay leaf
- salt to season
For the egg wraps:
butter for greasing the pan
- grated cheese
- fresh avocado slices
- coriander leaves
- sour cream or cream cheese
To make the mince:
- Heat the butter in a saucepan and gently cook the onion, celery, carrot, bacon and rosemary until soft. Add the garlic and cook for a minute.
- Sprinkle the beef mince into the saucepan, using a wooden spoon to separate it, and brown it on a higher heat.
- Stir in the tomato paste and fry for a few minutes.
- Add in the chopped tomatoes, stock or water and the bay leaf and simmer for 45 minutes, until the sauce has thickened and is a rich dark colour. Add a little salt to season.
To make the egg wraps:
- Whisk the eggs together.
- Place a frying pan on a low heat and grease it well.
- Pour in enough of the whisked egg to just cover the bottom of the pan. Swirl it around to fill any holes. If you use too much egg, the wrap will break when it’s rolled.
- Cook the egg until it sets, then gently flip it over using a spatula and cook it on the other side for a minute or two.
To make your burrito:
- Fill the egg wrap with some mince, grated cheese, avo, fresh coriander, sour cream and/or cream cheese, and roll it up to eat.
- For some extra deliciousness, top it with cheese and place it under the grill until it’s a gooey, cheesy breakfast feast.
Recipe from Super Food for Superchildren