Food / 26 August, 2017 / Christina Walter
Top 10 Back-To-School Sandwich Recipes
With September already on the horizon, we’ve pulled together some recipes to make back-to-school sandwiches that bit more interesting.
- 4 slices prosciutto
- small avocado
- 4 thin slices wholemeal bread (from a small loaf)
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 Little Gem lettuce, shredded
- First, cook the prosciutto. Heat a non-stick pan, add the slices in a single layer without oil and cook for a few mins each side until they are starting to crisp.
- Meanwhile, stone the avocado and scoop the flesh into a bowl. Roughly mash, then spread on the bread. Top two slices of the bread with the tomato, some prosciutto, the lettuce and the rest of the prosciutto. Sandwich with the remaining bread and halve to serve. You can keep the sandwich together with a cocktail stick.
Green Club Sandwich
- Toast the bread and spread houmous evenly over one side of each slice. On one slice of bread, lay half the avocado, rocket and tomato. Season with pepper, then cover with another slice.
- Pile on the rest of the avocado, rocket and tomato, season again and top with the third slice.
Carrot and Raisin Sandwich
- Mix the carrot with the raisins, olive oil and vinegar. Season and add the mint.
- Spread 2-3 slices of the bread with houmous, top with the carrot mix and sandwich with 2-3 more slices. Cut into your desired shapes.
Squash It Sandwich
- 4 seeded wholegrain rolls
- 4 radishes
- 1 x 5cm piece of cucumber
- ½ a small carrot
- 2 cauliflower florets
- ½ a small red pepper
- ½ a small apple (core removed)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 sprigs of fresh soft herbs , such as dill, flat-leaf parsley or basil or 2 sprigs of fresh mint
- 1 handful of salad cress or sprouting herbs
- 1 handful of freshly podded peas
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons quality cottage cheese or cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons quality houmous
- On a chopping board, carefully halve the rolls across the middle using a bread knife, to give you a top and a base for each. Put to one side.
- Using an eating knife, cut each radish in half lengthways, then slice each radish half into 3 pieces and place into a large bowl.
- Cut the cucumber in half lengthways, scoop out the watery seeds with a teaspoon and discard.
- Slice each cucumber half into 4 pieces, then add to the bowl.
- Trim the carrot, then cut into 8 even-sized pieces and add to the bowl.
- Click apart the cauliflower florets and place into the bowl with the stalks.
- Pull out the pepper’s stalk, tearing out the core, then discard.
- Scoop out the seeds and white pith with a teaspoon, then discard.
- Cut the pepper into 4 slices, then cut each slice into 4 pieces. Add the pieces to the bowl.
- Place the apple half, flat-side down, on the board.
- Cut the apple into 6 even-sized pieces, then add to the bowl.
- Place a clean tea towel onto the chopping board and place the vegetables and chopped apple in a pile in the middle.
- Fold over each corner of the tea towel so your ingredients are wrapped up like a parcel – make sure there are no gaps to stop the vegetables from escaping.
- Carefully crush and squash the vegetables with a rolling pin until broken down into little pieces.
- Open up the parcel – if your pieces are still too big, wrap it back up and crush and squash again.
- Measure the balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil into the empty bowl to make your dressing.
- Pick the herb leaves, discarding the stalks.
- Tear the leaves into small pieces, adding them to the bowl as you go.
- Using scissors, snip the cress or sprouting herbs into the bowl.
- Add the peas and sunflower seeds to the bowl.
- Add the squashed vegetables to the bowl, then using the tips of your fingers, carefully toss them in the dressing so they’re nicely coated.
- Spread the base of each roll with the cottage or cream cheese.
- Spread the soft side of each top with the houmous.
- Equally divide the vegetable mixture between the base of each roll.
- Place the lids on top, houmous-side down, press lightly, then tuck in!
Avocado Chicken Salad Sandwich
- 2 cups chicken, cooked and chopped
- 1 large avocado
- 3 tablespoons mayo (or more as needed)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, add the chicken, mayo, lime juice, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Cut the avocado in half and dice into small pieces. Scoop the avocado out into the bowl and stir all of the ingredients together until it has reached your desired consistency.
- Taste and adjust seasonings to your preference.
- Serve and enjoy!
The Perfect Egg Mayo Sandwich
For the sandwiches
- 4 slices of white bread, soft
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- chives, about 1 heaped tablespoon, finely chopped
- white pepper
- malt vinegar
For the mayonnaise
- 1 egg yolk
- groundnut oil, or vegetable oil
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- Put the eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil then simmer for 6 minutes. Place in a bowl of cold water
- Make your mayonnaise. By far the easiest way to do this is by using an electric mixer with a whisk attachment, but it’s perfectly possible by hand
- Put the egg yolks in a clean bowl and whisk them together. Whisk in the mustard powder. Begin adding oil a few drops at a time, whisking as you do so and making sure each bit of oil is fully incorporated before adding the next
- As you whisk in more oil and the mayo starts to thicken, you can start adding it in very slightly larger quantities until you are steadily adding it in a thin stream. If it splits, don’t despair. Take a fresh egg yolk in a clean bowl and begin adding the split mixture into it, very slowly, just as if it were the oil. This should bring it back. Add the white wine vinegar and season with salt
- Peel the eggs, and mash them with a fork. Mix in 2 tablespoons of the mayo and the chives, then season with salt and white pepper. Add a teaspoon of vinegar to start with, adding more if you think it’s needed. Spread the mixture onto one slice of bread, top with the other, and cut into preferred sandwich shape
Watercress and houmous sandwich recipe
- Spread the slices of bread with the low-fat spread. Top the bottom slices of bread evenly with houmous.
- Layer the watercress on top and place the other slice of bread on top to create the sandwiches. Slice in half and serve.
Tropical Ham Sandwich
- 2 slices pumpernickel bread
- 2 ounces thinly sliced ham
- 2 slices pineapple
- 3 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 1/4 cup basil leaves
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Top 1 slice of the bread with the ham, pineapple, mozzarella, and basil.
- Drizzle with the oil and sandwich with the other slice of bread.
Pesto Tuna Sandwich
- 2 6-ounce cans of tuna packed in water (drained)
- 2 tablespoons store-bought pesto
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 slices sandwich bread
- In a medium bowl, combine the tuna, pesto, and pepper.
- Form sandwiches with the bread.
- 2 slices white bread
- 2 slices brown bread
- Cream cheese
- Primo Hungarian Salami
- Spread 1 slice white bread and 1 slice brown bread thickly with cream cheese. Top each with 2 pieces of salami, then with another slice of bread, alternating white with brown. Use jigsaw cookie cutters or a knife to cut each sandwich into a jigsaw and swap the pieces.