Preparation time 15 mins
Cooking time 30 mins
- 225g/8oz new potatoes, scrubbed and halved if large
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into 1/½in cm squares
- 1 clove garlic, crushed (optional)
- 6 eggs
- 4 tbsp crème fraîche
- 6 large basil leaves, shredded (optional)
- 185g/6½oz Taleggio cheese, rind removed and diced
- 55g/2oz Parmesan cheese, grated
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Put the potatoes in a pan of cold, salted water and bring to the boil. Cook for 12 to 15 minutes until tender when pierced with the tip of a table knife. Drain and leave to cool.
- When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut into 1cm (½in) cubes, discarding any bits of loose skin.
- Heat the oil in a deep 20 to 23cm (8 to 9in) non-stick frying pan. Add the onion, peppers garlic (if using) and sauté for 10 to 15 minutes, until the vegetables are soft.
- Meanwhile, beat together the eggs and crème fraîche with plenty of salt and pepper. Stir in the basil leaves (if using) and half of the cheeses.
- Preheat the grill to high.
- Stir the cooked potato into the vegetables. Pour the egg mixture into the pan and cook, stirring, for one to two minutes, until the eggs are starting to thicken, then lower the heat and cook the frittata (without stirring) for 8 to 10 minutes until brown underneath and just set.
- Scatter the remaining cheese over the top of the frittata and grill for two minutes, until the cheese is bubbling and golden.
- Leave the frittata to stand for 15 minutes, then carefully loosen with a non-metallic spatula, slide onto a large plate and refrigerate as soon as possible, but do not cover until thoroughly cold (otherwise condensation builds up on the clingfilm).
- If the frittata is too soft to slide out of the pan then cool the pan quickly by dipping the base into cold water then refrigerate until the frittata is firm. Cut the frittata into 6 wedges to serve.
Annabel’s App: ‘Annabel’s Essential Guide to Feeding your Baby and Toddler’ available on iTunes or Google Play for ?3.99