Food / 8 October, 2017 / My Baba
Beet Chocolate Brownies
Rich and fudgy, these delicious beetroot/beet brownies are packed with protein, thanks to the addition of nut butter and protein powder. They are perfect as a healthy snack, breakfast on the go or a pick-me-up when energy levels are flagging.
Makes 16 brownies
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking: 20–25 minutes
- olive oil, for greasing
- 2 cooked beetroots/beets
- 200g/7oz/scant 1 cup almond nut butter
- 200g/7oz dark/bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 80g/2¾oz/scant ½ cup xylitol or erythritol
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 30g/1oz/scant ¼ cup chocolate or vanilla protein powder
- 60g/2¼oz/scant 2?3 cup ground almonds
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda/baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 60g/2¼oz shelled hemp seeds
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4 and grease and line a 20cm/8in square baking pan with baking parchment. Grate the beetroots/beets and leave to one side.
- Put the nut butter in a saucepan and add the chocolate and xylitol. Warm gently over a medium-low heat to melt the chocolate. Allow the chocolate to cool slightly. Put in a food processor and add the eggs, vanilla, protein powder, ground almonds, cinnamon, bicarbonate of soda/baking soda and baking powder, and whiz to combine. Whiz in the beetroots and hemp seeds.
- Spoon the mixture evenly into the prepared pan. Bake for 20–25 minutes until golden brown and firm to the touch. Leave to cool completely before removing from the tray. Cut into 16 squares. Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Brain Benefits: Beetroot/beet is a fabulous brain-boosting food known to help the production of nitric oxide and improve vasodilation in the body and brain. The hemp seeds are a great source of additional protein and omega-3 fats.
Beetroot/beet is a fabulous brain-boosting food known to help the production of nitric oxide and improve vasodilation in the body and brain. The hemp seeds are a great source of additional protein and omega-3 fats.
Recipe taken from The Brain Boost Diet Plan by Christine Bailey