makes 4-6 burgers
- 1 1/2 cups (or small can) cooked cannellini beans
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/4 cup gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 2 shallots, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel, crushed
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- healthy handful of parsley, chopped
- olive oil
- salt + pepper
1. Place a large frying pan over medium high heat and drizzle with olive oil (about 2 tablespoons). Add shallots and cook for a minute until they begin to soften. Add garlic, fennel and cumin and cook for another minute until the herbs are aromatic and the garlic softens. Remove from heat and cool.
2. Place the beans, quinoa and breadcrumbs in a large mixing bowl. Add the parsley and cooled shallot mixture and set the pan aside but don’t clean (you’ll use this later to fry the patties). Combine everything together with your hands, mashing the beans so that the mixture turns into a paste. (If it’s feeling a little wet, add more breadcrumbs.) Season with salt and pepper.
3. When combined, form the mixture into small patties, about the size of your palm and about an inch thick.
4. Place your frying pan back on the stove over medium high heat and add a drizzle of olive oil to coat. Cook the patties in batches for about 3 minutes on each side until nice and golden brown. Remove from pan and immediately season with salt and a drizzle of lemon. Serve with lettuce, tomato, red onion, Veganaise and/or whatever else you like.
Courtesy of Goop.