Shop bought granola cereals are typically ladened with sugar and sweeteners providing ‘rocket fuel’ for your child first thing in the morning only to result in a sudden crash in blood glucose and energy levels a couple of hours later. Instead get them to snack on this longer lasting super-fuel power blend.
Delicious crunchy oats, nuts and seeds are coated with a naturally sweet date paste and baked in the oven to form crisp nuggets. Perfect as a trail mix to pack and go and equally delicious served in a bowl with chopped fruit.
- 115g / 4oz / 1 cup rolled oats
- 60g / 2oz / ½ cup flaked almonds
- 60g / 2oz / ½ cup chopped pecan nuts
- 15g / ½ oz / ½ cup flaked unsweetened coconut
- 60g / 2oz / ½ cup dried berries
- 4tbsp sunflower seeds
- 2tbsp sesame seeds
- 1/2tsp ground cinnamon
- 60g / 2oz / ¼ cup coconut butter
- 60g / 2oz / ½ cup pitted dates
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 150ºC, Gas mark 1.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, nuts, seeds, berries and cinnamon and toss well.
- Melt the coconut butter in a small pan. Place in a blender with the dates and vanilla extract. Process to form a sticky paste. Stir the mixture into the oats and mix thoroughly until everything is slightly sticky. Squeeze the mixture into little ‘nuggets’
- Grease and line a baking sheet. Spread granola mixture onto tray evenly, and bake for from 45-60 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Store in an airtight container.
Babies and toddlers can be very fussy eaters, making it challenging for parents to find foods for them that are both healthy and enjoyable. Christine Bailey’s Top 100 Finger Foods offer the perfect solution. This book offers a collection of quick and easy healthy recipes for delicious and appealing finger foods. The fabulous recipe book gives tables of foods to introduce at different ages, and each recipe has a list of nutrients and at-a-glance ingredient symbols, as well as tips on preparation and storage. From nutritious breakfasts such as Crunchy Granola Bites and Almond & Apricot Scotch Pancakes to tasty lunches and dinners, such as Fig & Goat’s Cheese Bruschetta and Italian Tuna Balls, as well as yummy snacks and desserts such as Secret Chocolate Cupcakes and Mango Fruit Lollies, there are plenty of new tastes and textures here for your child to explore.
By Christine Bailey