A delicious chunky cauliflower & spinach chowder recipe.
Preparation time:10 minutes
Cooking time:30 minutes
Total time:40 minutes
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cauliflower, cut into florets, stalks chopped
- 1 fennel, chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped thyme leaves
- 750ml Vegetable Stock
- 500g Charlotte potatoes, cut into 1cm dice
- 350g tub essential Waitrose Cheese Sauce
- 235g pack washed spinach
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add the cauliflower and fennel. Cook over a gentle heat, turning the vegetables frequently for 10 minutes until beginning to colour.
- Add the thyme and stock and bring to a gentle simmer. Cover with a lid and cook for 5 minutes. Add the potatoes and cook for 8-10 minutes until all the vegetables are tender.
- Tip in the cheese sauce, then the spinach, pushing the leaves down into the soup to wilt. Grate in plenty of nutmeg and cook for a further 5 minutes until the sauce is hot. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with more nutmeg. Delicious served with warmed seeded spelt loaf or rolls.
Cook’s tip: For a spicy twist on this hearty soup, omit the nutmeg and add 1-2 tbsp curry paste such as Madras or Tikka Masala.