Food / 15 December, 2022 / Vanessa Gerbrandy
Cinnamon Crunch Muffins
Who doesn’t love the smell of warm cinnamon filling the home at Christmas time? And surely Christmas isn’t Christmas without some good old fashioned baking in the kitchen together. These delicious cinnamon muffins make the best wintery treat and with the mix of cinnamon and brown sugar it is the match made in baking heaven.
How to make cinnamon crunch muffins
- Makes: 12 muffins
- Preparation Time: 25 minutes
- Cooking: 20 minutes
- 280g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 60g white granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 150ml plain yoghurt
- 180ml milk
- 60ml rapeseed oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- For the crunch mixture:-
- 3oz brown demerara sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3oz pecans chopped (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 190 degree C (gas mark 5). Prepare the muffin cases into a muffin tin.
- In a small bowl, combine the topping ingredients and set to one side.
- In a large bowl, sift the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda. Add the salt and sugar and mix.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg with a fork. Carefully stir in the yoghurt, milk, oil and vanilla extract.
- Pour all of the liquid mixture into the dry and stir until it is all combined. The batter will be a little lumpy, this is fine.
- Using a tablespoon, add a spoon of mixture to the muffin cases, sprinkle a spoon of crunch mixture on top and then spoon a second tablespoon of batter over the crunch mixture. Finish by adding a small spoon of crunch mixture so you will end up with a muffin case of two layers of batter and two layers of crunch mixture.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes and serve as a lovely treat with a glass of warm milk or a delicious pot of tea together whilst listening to some Christmas songs.
Recipe by Vanessa Gerbrandy, Wild Flours