Gajar Halwa-a famous Indian dessert. The key ingredient is the Super Food, carrot, so you know this dish is bursting with beta-carotene goodness. Raisins, if consumed in moderation, have fab health benefits of their own as they are rich in antioxidants and are a good source of iron, potassium and energy.
Takes 20 minutes
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter or ghee
- 1 whole cardamom pod – green
- 2 medium carrots -washed,
- peeled, grated (in a food processor)
- 150m I (t/4 pint) whole milk
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- 15g (Y2oz) raisins- soaked in warm water (5 mins), drained, chopped
Melt the butter or ghee in a pot, add the cardamom pod and carrots and stir-fry for 5 mins.
Pour in the milk and add the cinnamon and raisins. Bring to the boil gradually on a low heat; this will take 5-10 mins.
Simmer (uncovered) for 15 mins, stirring occasionally until the mixture begins to thicken. Once all of the milk has been absorbed, remove from the heat. Serve to baby warm.
Taken from Easy Indian Super Meals by Zainab Jagot Ahmed