Food / 31 July, 2019 / My Baba
How To Make Your Own Strawberry Ice Cream
- 4 egg yolks
- 100g (4oz) caster sugar
- 1tsp cornflour
- 300ml (½pt) full fat milk
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 500g (1lb 2oz) fresh strawberries, hulled
- 300ml (½pt) whipping cream
- 8 waffle cones
- 50g (2oz) white chocolate
- 50g (2oz) pistachio nuts, roughly
- 50g (2oz) dark chocolate
- Whisk the egg yolks with the sugar and cornflour until thick and pale. Pour the milk into a medium saucepan and bring just to the boil. Gradually whisk into the egg yolk mixture until smooth then return to the pan. Cook over a low heat, stirring until the custard thickens and just coats the back of the wooden spoon. Be careful not to overheat or the custard will curdle.
- Stir in the vanilla essence then sprinkle the surface of the custard with a little sugar or a piece of crumpled and dampened nonstick baking paper to stop a skin forming; then leave to cool.
- PurÃ©e the strawberries in a food processor or liquidiser, in batches if needed, until smooth. Press through a sieve into a bowl, discarding the seeds.
- Whip the cream until it resembles thick batter then mix with the custard. Fold in the strawberry purÃ©e. Pour into a freezer proof container and freeze for 6-7 hours until firm enough to scoop, beating two or three times with a fork to break up the ice crystals.
- For the cones; break the white chocolate into pieces and melt in a small bowl set over a small saucepan of gently simmering water. Put the nuts on to a small plate. Dip the tips of four of the cones into the melted chocolate then the nuts. Stand upright in a glass bowl to set. Melt the dark chocolate in the same way then dip in the nuts and leave to set.
- When ready to serve, allow the ice cream to soften at room temperature and scoop into the cones.
Recipe by Tesco