Cooking Time: 60 minutes.
Tip: Add any fruit you like, strawberries and cherries can be quite yummy. Use honey or agave instead of sugar.
Storage: Not suitable for freezing. Keep in the fridge in an airtight container for 1-2 days.
Blueberry & Banana Loaf Cake
- 200g Butter (softened)
- 100g Sugar
- 2 ripe banana, peeled and mashed
- 3x Eggs
- 200g Self raising flour
- 2 tbsp Natural yoghurt
- 150g Blueberries
- 1x piccolo pouch of Piccolo’s banana, blueberry & apple purÃ©e
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/ Gas mark 4. Grease and line a loaf tin with baking paper. Cream butter & sugar together using a whisk or food processor. Whisk for a good five minutes until it turns a pale yellow. Add one egg & beat until completely incorporated. Add next egg with a tablespoon of flour & beat agin. Add final egg with another tablespoon & repeat.
- Fold the flour, mashed bananas and the yoghurt into the mixture.
- Use 1/2 or of the piccolo pouch and swirl into the mixture.
- Fold through the blueberries keeping a few for the top.
- Pour the mixture into a greased loaf tin & smooth the top. Use remaining puree to make swirls on the top & scatter remaining blueberries.
- Bake in the oven for around 40 mins. Test with a skewer and when it comes out mostly clean, remove the cake from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes. Transfer the cake to a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
Recipe by Alice Fotheringham, specialist in infant nutrition and Head of Recipe Development at Piccolo!
You can find more information about the organic baby food brand Piccolo at www.mylittlepiccolo.com and find them at Waitrose, Ocado, Booths, Wholefoods Market and Planent Organic.