Food / 30 December, 2018 / My Baba
How To Make Deep Fried Prawn Tempura
One of my most favourite Japanese dishes is a prawn tempura. It’s a go-to choice whenever it’s on the menu if I’m eating out. You just cannot go wrong with it; it makes a great appetiser. I have my own version of prawn tempura which I have desi-fied (made Indian) by adding a little spice. The result is a crispy fried masala delight, which is so moreish that one is never enough. Give this one a go and delight your taste buds.
Desi-fied prawn tempura:
- oil for deep frying
- 55g corn flour
- 45g+ 20g extra plain flour to dust prawns before frying
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ tbsp soy sauce
- 80-100ml beer or water
- 6 ice cubes
- 20-25 uncooked king prawns, shells and central veins removed
- Desi-Fied Prawn Tempura:
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp white pepper powder
Serving and garnish suggestion
- Sweet chilli sauce
- Herbs or salad leaves
- Pre-heat the oil for deep frying to 180°C.
- Whilst the oil is heating, in a large mixing bowl, mix together the corn flour, plain flour (45g), salt and spices.
- Make a well in the centre and add the egg, soy sauce and beer (or water) and ice cubes and whisk from the centre outwards until combined; it’s fine for the batter to be a little lumpy. You may want to adjust the texture by adding more beer or water if the batter is too thick or adding more plain flour if the batter is too thin. It should be gravy-like in texture. Allow the batter to stand for a few minutes in a cool place.
- Put the additional 20g of plain flour onto a plate and coat the prawns, ensuring to cover well.
- Dip the prawns into the batter and carefully add to the hot oil. Fry in batches for 2-3 minutes until crisp and golden.
- Carefully remove the battered prawns with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- Serve and enjoy with some sweet chilli sauce. They are so yummy.
Recipe from Dip in Brilliant by Celebrity Chef, Dipna Anand.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Garlicky Prawns with Mini Roast Potatoes & Walnut Parsley Pesto
Kale, Cranberry & Prawn Cocktail
15 Healthy Recipes To Try During Pregnancy