Cucumber sandwiches seem to be a popular summer choice for warm days. Try one of these gorgeous recipes next time you decide to prepare this cool traditional favourite.
- 1 thin cucumber
- 8 slices brown bread, sliced
- 8 slices white bread, sliced
- 4 ounces fresh unsalted butter
- 1 -2 teaspoon finely chopped of fresh mint
- salt and pepper
- Peel cucumber and slice in paper-thin rounds. Salt rounds lightly and place in colander for 15 minutes to drain. Press to release water; pat dry with paper towels.
- Spread sliced bread with softened butter. Put 2 layers of cucumber slices on bottom slice, sprinkle with finely chopped mint, salt and pepper to taste, and top with another buttered slice. Press lightly with palm of hand.
- Cut all crusts off with a sharp knife. Cut sandwiches in half diagonally and then again into quarters.
- Serve in alternate rows of brown and white bread sandwiches, points facing up!
- 1 small cucumber, thinly sliced
- 200g tub soft cheese
- ½ small bunch mint, finely chopped
- small bunch chives, snipped
- 9 thin slices wholemeal bread
- Lay the cucumber slices on kitchen paper to dry. Whizz the cheese, mint and some seasoning in a small food processor or with a hand blender. Stir in most of the chives, then spread the cheese mixture over 6 slices of bread. Reserve 12 slices of cucumber, and arrange the rest over the cheese.
- Layer up 2 slices of cucumber-topped bread, then top with a plain slice. Repeat this twice more. Use a good knife to trim the crusts off the tripledeckers, then cut each into 4 squares. Top each mini sandwich with another cucumber slice. Sprinkle with the remaining chives to serve.
- 8 slices white bread
- 4tbsp butter
- 2tbsp chives, finely chopped
- 2tbsp dill, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp rosemary, finely chopped
- ½ cucumber
- Using a peeler, slice the cucumber thinly into ribbons. Place on kitchen towel to remove excess water.
- Mix the butter, chives, dill and rosemary together. Season with a little salt and freshly ground black pepper then spread over one side of each slice of bread.
- Sandwich together 2 slices, remove the crusts and slice each sandwich into 3 fingers. Take a couple of slices of cucumber
- 4 tbsp softened butter
- 1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh herbs
- Sliced white bread
- Sliced cucumber
- Mix 4 tablespoons softened butter, 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest and 1 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs. Spread on white bread and sandwich with sliced cucumber. Trim the crusts and cut into pieces.
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh chives
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 long English cucumber thinly sliced
- 1 loaf sliced bread, crusts removed
- With a hand mixer mix cream cheese and mayonnaise in a small bowl until smooth. Stir in herbs, garlic powder and salt and pepper to taste.
- Thinly slice cucumbers. Layer over half of the bread slices. Top with additional herbs if desired.
- Top with remaining bread slice and cut each sandwich into 3 pieces.
- Serve immediately or cover and store up to 24 hours.