For the falafel:
- 1 x 400g can chickpeas, drained, rinsed, patted dry
- 400g butternut squash, peeled, de-seeded, roasted
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- Ground coriander – 1 tsp
- Ground cumin – 1/2 tsp
- Paprika – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Gram flour – 1 tbsp
- Psyllium husk – 2 tbsp
For the slaw:
- Shredded Iceberg Lettuce
- Grated Apple
- Vegan Mayonnaise to bind
- Put chickpeas, onion and garlic in a blender and blitz til smooth. Add in the roasted butternut and spices/seasonings, blitz til blended. Tip mix into a bowl and stir in gram flour and psyllium husk, this helps the mixture to firm up enough to hold shape and be able to handle the frying process.
- Once this is all thoroughly mixed, shape into balls and leave in fridge until ready to cook.
- To fry, either use your deep fryer (they take a few minutes each to cook, do in small batches) or pour a couple of inches of oil into a large saucepan, heat up (until a little bit of mix fries and gently browns when dropped in), then cook falafel in batches, a few minutes each batch, turning to make sure they are golden brown all over.
- Remove from oil with a slotted spoon and pop onto kitchen paper to soak up excess oil.
- Make the slaw by combining all of the ingredients in a bowl.
- Serve the falafel in a wrap with slaw and sauce.
Recipe taken from Genius