Makes: 2 x 20cm/8” round cake tins, parchment lined
Free from soya and nuts
Suitable for vegetarians
Cooking time: 25-30 minutes
Equipment: 2 x 20cm/8″ round cake tins, parchment lined and mixing bowl
Temperature: 180°C, Fan 160°C, 350°F, Gas 4
- 200g butter
- 200g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 tbsp cocoa
- 200g Self Raising White Flour
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100g unsalted butter
- 150g icing sugar
- 2 tbsp cocoa
- 50g chocolate
- 25g butter
- 1 tbsp golden syrup
- Line 2 x 20cm/8” round cake tins with parchment and pre-heat the oven.
- Put the butter and caster sugar into a mixing bowl and beat together until light and fluffy.
- Beat in one egg followed by a spoon of cocoa.
- Beat in the second and third eggs, adding a spoon of cocoa after each one. Beat in the final egg.
- Sieve the flour into the bowl then stir it into the mixture.
- Add the milk and vanilla and stir to create a batter that just drops off a spoon.
- Divide the mixture between the two prepared tins and smooth the tops.
- Bake for 25–30 minutes.
- Leave the cakes to cool in the tins for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack and leaving to cool completely.
- To make the filling, put the unsalted butter into a bowl and beat until it softens.
- Sift the icing sugar into the bowl and mix until it is combined.
- Sift the cocoa into the bowl and beat that in too.
- Spread the filling over one cold cake layer then place the other cake layer on top.
- Put the chocolate and unsalted butter into a bowl and gently melt them together.
- Stir, allowing the mixture to cool, then stir in the golden syrup.
- Slowly pour the icing over the top cake, allowing it to run down the sides a little
Recipes from Doves Farm