Living / 25 March, 2021 / Rachel Riley
Rachel Riley’s Easter Craft: How To Make Naturally Colourful Easter Eggs
It was my first time to dye Easter eggs and I chose natural foods that I could take the cooking juice from, and still eat! The result is really fun, and I found great depth of colour, especially from the ones that I left in overnight.
Here is what you can experiment with:
Check your cupboards and your fridge for things you can use to naturally dye Easter eggs. I experimented with:
- Red onion skins
- White onion skins
- Redbush tea
- Red cabbage
- White eggs – so they would take the colour better, and did it over a day, curious to see the results.
How to naturally dye Easter eggs
- Bring the eggs to boil in a saucepan for 10 minutes so they are hard-boiled
- Cook each ingredient separately in about a cup of water. I didn’t have enough saucepans so I used glass bowls in the oven
- Keep the coloured water (you can eat the cooked vegetables later) and put it into separate mugs. Gently lower the egg into each mug being careful not to break the shell
- I put 2 eggs into each mug, and took the top one out after 20-30 minutes or whenever I liked the pastel shade that it had become. The second egg I left overnight so the colour would be stronger
- Let the coloured egg dry, and then rub a tiny bit of transparent oil into each one to make it shine. All my bottled oils were a bit yellow, so I used coconut oil and that made them look lovely
- Put them into a basket to enjoy. We then ate our hard-boiled eggs in sandwiches!
Love Rachel x
Kids’ pastel fashion for Easter
So now you have your Easter craft sorted, all that’s left is to decide on is what your little ones will wear to celebrate the long Easter weekend. Pastels have become synonymous with spring, and they’re a fabulous go-to for Easter. Whether it’s a smocked dress for Sunday best or a cute romper perfect for a back garden Easter Egg trail, here you’ll find our favourite selection from Rachel Riley’s SS21 collections.
Simple Sewing Project: Easter Treat Pouch
The Ultimate Online Holiday Shop For Kids
For competitions and offers from our favourite brands, click here.