I’ve been trying quite a few recipes from Ella’s latest book, The Big Baking Book, and I’ve got to say, the children are loving them. What You Need:
- 350g / 12oz potatoes, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 150g / 5.5oz broccoli, cut into small pieces
- 2 teaspoons sunflower oil
- 1 small leek, trimmed, cleaned and chopped
- 50g / 1 3/4oz Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives (optional)
- 2 tablespoons plain white flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 75g / 2.5oz wholemeal breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 200c / 400f / Gas Mark 6. Line a baking sheet with baking parchment
- Cook the potatoes in a saucepan of boiling water for 10 minutes until softened but not completely tender. Add the broccoli and cook for a further 5 minutes until both vegetables are soft. Drain well, return the vegetables to the pan, and mash them together until fairly smooth. Transfer the mixture to a bowl.
- While the vegetables are cooking, heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the leek for 4-5 minutes, stirring, until softened. Add the leek to the mash mixture with the cheese and chives (if using) and mix together well. Leave to cool.
- Place the flour on a plate, the beaten egg on a second late and the breadcrumbs on a third. Divide the vegetable mixture into 12 equal portions and shape each into a sausage. One at a time, dust the potato fingers with the flour, then roll them in then beaten egg and finally the breadcrumbs.
- Transfer the potato fingers to the prepared baking sheet and bake them in the oven for 15 minutes until they are beginning to colour. Serve warm on the day you make them.
I served these with a homemade tomato sauce and steamed salmon, which the kids loved.