Courgettes are rich in calcium, folic acid, iron and the vitamins A and C whilst pine nuts are a good source of vitamin K which is essential to bone health and for proper blood clotting.
- 1 medium courgette (about 6-8 ozs /200gm), grated and squeezed to get rid of any excess liquid
- 1 free range egg, beaten
- 1 rounded dessertspoon plain yoghurt (or crÃ¨me fraiche)
- 1 oz or 25g of pine nuts
- Chopped fresh herbs e.g. parsley, chives, mint, to taste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Beat the yoghurt (or crÃ¨me fraiche) into egg, add seasoning and herbs, stir in the grated courgette.
2. Put in a small ovenproof container, which has been lightly oiled, and sprinkle with the pine nuts.
3. Bake for about 25 minutes at about 1600C and serve with mixed green salad leaves and sliced tomatoes or salad of your choice
As an alternative use chopped and wilted spinach instead of courgette – and it tastes good with freshly grated hard cheese instead of the pine nuts (although you’ll miss out on the Vitamin K!)