Four Point Kneeling Tummy Vacuum
This exercise is one of the most important exercises for before, during and post pregnancy. The muscles that are activated during this exercise are primary stabilisers for your lower back and tummy. Its also very important that you engage your pelvic floor muscles while you activate your lower abdominals.
Benefits of a strong lower abdominals:
- Reduces the load going through your lower back + can reduce lower back pain
- Improves posture
- Improves labour with stronger abdominal control during contractions
- Reducing the risk of incontinence due to simultaneous contraction of lower abs and pelvic floor
Performing the Exercise:
1. Kneel on hands and knees making sure your knees are under your hips, hands are under your shoulders and your head is in line with your shoulders. Correct position would be if you were to have a pole resting down your back between your shoulder blades it would be in contact with your head, upper back and lower back.
2. Make sure your lower back is relaxed so your hips are rolled forward and you’re not arching in anyway.
3. Take a deep breath and imagine your tummy is filling with air and falling to the floor.
4. Breathe slowly out and activate your lower abdominals by drawing your belly button in and imagine your pulling towards your spine at the same moment perform a pelvic floor exercise. When you do this movement keep your lower back still and in neutral alignment.
5. Hold your belly in against the spine for ten seconds. Relax for ten seconds and repeat the process ten times.
This exercise can be done daily and it’s very important that you also THINK about the muscles that are working. The mind/muscle connection is very important especially if you have had a c-section.
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTHCARE PROVIDER REGARDING ANY MEDICAL CONDITION AND BEFORE STARTING ANY NEW DIET OR EXERCISE REGIME.