Recipes / 4 September, 2017 / Christine Bailey
An Easy Chilli Pot for The Whole Family
This warming bowl of chilli beans is simple to prepare and will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days, making it an ideal dish when time is short. A popular family favourite – it freezes well so make a big batch and freeze in portion.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 courgette, sliced
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into cubes
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp cocoa powder
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 400g tin kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 x 400g tin cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 4 sliced spring onions and 1 sliced avocado, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large casserole dish and add the onion, courgette, pepper, sweet potato and garlic. Cook over a low heat for 5 minutes until the onion begins to soften.
- Add the spices, cocoa powder, tomatoes and beans and stir. Bring to the boil then cover and simmer for 40 minutes. Season to taste.
- Spoon into bowls to and top with sliced spring onions and avocado to serve.
Per serving: 292 kcal; 13g protein; 9.2g fat; 1g saturated fat; 39.8g carbohydrates; 14.7g sugars
From Christine’s book Go Lean vegan: The Revolutionary 30-day Diet Plan to Lose Weight and Feel Great