Food / 18 October, 2023 / Ellie Thompson
Frankenstein Mug Cakes
Add a spooky twist to your chocolate mug cakes with this fast and simple Halloween mug cakes recipe. Don’t be scared by their eerie appearance; these treats are deliciously frightful!
- Serves 1
- 5 mins to prepare and 10 mins to cook
- 758 calories / serving
For the cake
- 20g unsalted butter, plus a little extra for greasing
- 30g dark chocolate
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 medium egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp self-raising flour
- ½ tsp instant coffee granules, dissolved in 2 tsp boiling water
- ½ Conference pear, peeled, cored and cut into pieces
- ½ tsp icing sugar
For the decoration
- 1 tbsp milk chocolate sprinkles
- red writing icing
- 8 green M&M’s
- 2 liquorice twists
- 24 mini marshmallows
- Put the butter and chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Microwave for 45 secs-1 min on medium until melted. Add the caster sugar, egg, flour and coffee and whisk until just combined. Grease the base of a 300ml, straight-sided microwave-proof mug and put the pear in the bottom. Top with the cake mixture. Cook for 2 mins on high until risen.
- Leave the cake in the mug to rest for 10 secs, then turn out cool for 10 mins, then scatter each with 1 tbsp milk chocolate sprinkles. Poke holes for the eyes, then squeeze a little red writing icing onto 2 green M&M’s and push into the holes. Use icing for pupils.
- For the bolts, poke holes either side and push in half a liquorice twist. Use red writing icing to stick on 6 mini marshmallows in a row to make teeth. Draw around them to create lips, then draw on some stitches too.
Recipe by Tesco Real Food.
Petrifying Pudding Pots
A-Z Of Great Food For Babies And Toddlers