- 8 oz. (2 cups) gluten-free brown rice fusilli pasta or other bite-sized pasta
- ½ lb asparagus, cut on the diagonal into a similar size as the pasta
- 1/2 english cucumber, cubed into a similar size as the pasta
- ½ cup sprouted mung beans (see above for how to sprout) or cooked chickpeas
- ½ cup chopped fresh mint
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh chives
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp well-stirred tahini
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 tsp grainy mustard
- 1 tsp flaxseed oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp kelp or dulse granules (optional)
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup water
To prepare the salad: Place sliced asparagus in the colander you are using to drain the pasta. Cook pasta according to package directions (about 8 minutes), drain into sink over colander filled with sliced asparagus (this will cook them slightly), let sit for 1 minute. Rinse with very cold water, drain well.
Mix the remaining ingredients for the salad in a large bowl. Add the pasta and asparagus. Set aside and make the dressing.
To prepare the dressing: In a small bowl, whisk all ingredients together except water. Whisk in water. Pour over salad, toss, cover, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Will keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.