Deliciously Ella’s Carrot, Lentil & Raisin Salad, with Quinoa, Pine Nuts & Roasted Butternut Squash
Serves 3, Vegan, Gluten Free
- (All measurements are for the raw ingredients)
- 1 cup of quinoa
- 4 carrots
- 1/2 a cup of lentils
- 1/2 a cup of raisins
- 1/2 of a cup of pine nuts
- 1 large butternut squash
- 1 juiced lime or 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- For the dressing:
- 1/4 of a cup of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of almond butter
- 1 lime
- Start by pre-heating the oven to 190C, then peel and cut the squash into bite size chunks. Place them on a baking tray drizzled with olive oil, salt, dried rosemary and pepper and bake for thirty minutes until soft.
- Next, cook the quinoa. This should take about twenty minutes – to flavour it add the juice of one lime or a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and a sprinkling of salt as it starts to cook.
- Once this is cooking place the raisins into a bowl of warm water and allow them to soak for as long as the quinoa cooks – this makes them much juicier and so much more delicious.
- Next, cook the lentils. For this dish the lentils should stay a little hard, instead of becoming mushy – to get this perfect texture they should be boiled for about ten minutes, until they have softened perfectly but are not squishy. Then peel and grate the carrots using the fattest holes of a cheese grater.
- Finally, make the dressing simply by mixing the almond butter, olive oil, lime juice & water in a blender or processor until smooth. Place all of the ingredients into a large salad bowl, pour on the dressing and stir well. Enjoy!