Goop’s Vegetable ‘Squab’ with Lettuce
This healthy, quick salad has great crunch and lots of refreshing flavors. It’s wonderful on its own and also takes well to simply prepared proteins; grilled fish, shrimp, chicken or tofu are great.
Serves 4 – 6
- 75 grams zucchini
- 75 grams bamboo shoots
- 4 Dried Shitake Mushrooms (reconstituted in water for 20 minutes )
- 2 spring onions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch dried red chilli peppers
- 1 tablespoon Chinese wine
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- ½ teaspoon sesame seed oil
- 3 – 4 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 Iceberg lettuce
- Plum sauce to serve
- Finely dice the zucchini, bamboo shoots, spring onions and shitake mushrooms.
- Heat the oil in a wok to a medium heat. Add all the vegetables and stir fry until cooked ‘al dente’
- Add the salt, white pepper, chilli peppers, Chinese wine and Sesame seed oil to finish. Reduce without overcooking the vegetables. If there is still too much liquid, drain before serving.
- Trim the individual iceberg lettuce leaves to 10 – 11 cm diameter, dry and serve cold and crispy.
- Place a little plum sauce in the lettuce cup, add a spoonful of the vegetable mixture, and roll up into a parcel