PREPARATION + COOKING: 20 + 30 minutes + freezing
STORAGE: Can be kept in an airtight container for 3-4 days or frozen for up to 1 month.
- 125ml/4fl oz/1/2 cup light olive oil, plus extra for greasing
- 60g/21/4oz/1/2 cup coconut flour
- 30g/1oz/1/4 cup cocoa powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 5 eggs
- 100g/3½oz/heaped ½ cup xylitol
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 12tsp no added strawberry jam
- 150g/51/2oz dairy-free dark chocolate
- 60g/21/4oz coconut butter
- 2tbsp xylitol
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- or use melted chocolate to drizzle over the cakes
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/Gas 4. Lightly grease 12 holes in a muffin tin with oil.
- In a food processor, combine the coconut flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda.
- Put the eggs, oil, xylitol and vanilla extract in a bowl and beat together. Gradually add the dry ingredients beating to form a smooth batter.
- Spoon a tablespoon of the mixture into the prepared muffin holes. Spoon a teaspoon of the jam on top and cover with the remaining mixture.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and firm. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn out and leave to cool on a wire rack.
- To make the frosting, place all the ingredients in a saucepan and heat through over a low heat. Leave to cool, then tip the frosting into a freeze proof container and freeze for 30 minutes to chill and thicken. Remove from the freezer and beat whip the frosting in a blender until it is thick and fluffy. Spread over the cakes and decorate with a few chopped strawberries, if wished.
Symbols: Suitable for vegetarians, Suitable for vegans, Gluten-Free, Wheat-Free, Dairy-Free, Seed-Free, Soya-Free
These healthy, mouth-watering, gluten-free cupcakes contain a delicious berry jam in the centre and are topped with a creamy, dairy-free chocolate frosting. They are a perfect nutritious tasty treat for all ages and would make a wonderful addition to a children’s party.
Christine is a well known nutritional expert and chef and specialises in producing healthy recipes for the family. She is also author of over 11 recipe and health books including the popular Top 100 Baby Food Recipes and Top 100 Recipes for Finger Food.
See Christine’s website for further information about her books and work www.christinebailey.co.uk.