Food / 1 January, 2021 / My Baba
5 Healthy Recipes To Help You De-Stodge This January!
Happy New Year! If you’ve over-indulged (like most of us) this festive season, fear not. It’s January now, a time to take stock, de-stodge and detox, and we’ve found five healthy recipes to inspire you to beat the bulge!
- 80 grams soaked or sprouted buckwheat groats
- Enough unsweetened almond milk to cover the groats (about 240 mL)
- 1 ripe banana, sliced
- 165 grams canned pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Sprinkle of extra cinnamon
- Chia seeds, dried fruit, and nuts for topping
- Place the sprouted (or soaked and rinsed) buckwheat groats in a pot with enough almond milk to cover the groats. Add the banana slices, and cook over medium heat until the buckwheat has absorbed the liquid and become soft. The timing will differ depending on how long you soaked the groats. My groats cooked up in about 7 minutes or so. If the buckwheat ever gets dry, add a bit more almond milk.
- Stir in the canned pumpkin, vanilla, pumpkin pie spice, and cinnamon. Cook until the texture is to your liking.
- Divide into two bowls, sprinkle on the toppings, and enjoy!
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Mimi’s Bowl: Two Simple Breakfast Options For All The Family (From 1 Year Up)
Introducing Baba West, Leonora’s Premium Children’s Supplement Range
- 1 cup almond butter
- 4 dates
- 1 1/2 to 2 servings vanilla protein powder (about 3 to 4 ounces)
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup roasted salted cashews
- 1/2 cup unsalted raw sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup dried cherries (save a handful for the top)
- 1 cup rice cereal
- Place almond butter, dates, and protein powder in a food processor, and mix until smooth.
- Add oats, and mix until smooth.
- Throw in cashews, sunflower seeds, and dried cherries (set aside a handful), and pulse until chopped and chunky.
- Add in cereal, and mix until a thick dough forms.
- Press mixture into an 8-by-11-inch pan. Chop cherries and sprinkle on top, and press firmly.
- Place the pan in the fridge to set for at least an hour.
- Remove from the fridge, and cut into 60 pieces.
- Store uneaten chunks in an airtight container in the fridge.
- 1/2 bunch spinach
- 1 handful watercress
- 1/2 lemon, peeled
- 1 celery stalk
- 2 apples
- 1-inch slice of ginger
- Juice all ingredients into a tall glass. Serve immediately.
- 360 mL water
- 80 grams red quinoa, rinsed well
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 head Savoy cabbage (about 450 grams), cored and thinly sliced lengthwise, divided
- 1 tin (420 grams) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 80 grams pitted large green olives, such as Castelvetrano or Cerignola, halved
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 10 grams coarsely chopped fresh dill
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Nonfat Greek yoghurt, for serving (optional)
- Bring water to a boil in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Stir in quinoa and 1/2 teaspoon salt, and return to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 15 minutes. Uncover, raise heat to high, and cook until water evaporates and quinoa is dry and tender, about 5 minutes (stir frequently to prevent scorching).
- Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add half the cabbage and 1/2 teaspoon salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and golden brown in places, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a bowl. Repeat with 1 1/2 tablespoons oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and remaining cabbage.
- Add remaining tablespoon oil to skillet. Return sautÃ©ed cabbage to skillet, add quinoa, and raise heat to high. Cook, stirring occasionally, until quinoa is toasted and crisp, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat. Add chickpeas, olives, and lemon zest and juice, and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in dill, and serve with yoghurt.
- 1/2 cup(s) milk, fat-free
- 1/3 cup(s) yogurt, low-fat plain
- 1 small banana(s) less than 6 inches
- 2 teaspoon peanut butter
- 2 whole ice cubes
- In a blender combine milk, yogurt, banana, peanut butter, and ice cubes.
- Blend 1 minute, or until smooth. Enjoy.
Get Organised In 2021 With Our Favourite Luxury Stationery
New Sustainable Matching Fashion Range That’ll Put A Smile On Your Dial