Funky bright ‘Beetroot and Tomato’ sauce for Pasta
I can’t quite remember how on earth this came about but in an attempt to encourage the little people to eat beetroot it somehow got slipped into a homemade tomato sauce, blended together and suddenly we had bright pink pasta. Curiously it works and the little people adore it with a capital A. Even I have become a convert though I’m not sure Daddy is too keen, I think it’s the color – its’s pretty vibrant!
- Beetroot and Tomato Sauce for Pasta
- 1 tin of organic chopped tomatoes
- 2 whole cloves of garlic, chopped
- 3 cooked beetroot, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Pinch of Maldon sea salt, ground black pepper
1.Put the tinned tomatoes, garlic, beetroot and splash of olive oil in a pan and simmer very gently for about 45 minutes.
2. Let it cool down and then liquidize, add a little pepper and salt and store in the fridge until required.
We serve it with plain penne pasta and lashings of parmesan, but it is also a good dip for cucumber, carrots and any cold crudities.
This sauce freezes well and also keeps in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Written by the wonderful Joanna Preston of Larder Saga. Check it out for other scrumptious ideas!