Toddlers never stop. To keep their energy levels up for daily adventures, snacks are an essential part of their diet. Most toddlers need three meals and two to three healthy snacks a day. However, busy family life means snacks are often enjoyed on the go, and dreaming up exciting and nutritious snacks can be a challenge.
In-fact, research we commissioned recently shows that over half of parents (52%) regularly run out of snack inspiration for their little ones, and 41% told us they get stuck in a ‘rice cake rut’.
That’s why we’ve created – in partnership with nutritionist and Mum Lucy Jones – a delicious and nutritious new toddler snack called Go Gos. Go Gos are yummy mini wholegrain oat biscuits made with fibre-rich flax and chia seeds and protein. These naturally good ingredients all help to deliver slow release energy and nourishment for growing bones and bodies.
Go Gos come in individual bags – with a re-sealable sticker – so they’re perfect for snacking on the go and are ideal for an energy boost after nursery.
To help out with some fresh snack inspiration, here are some tried-and-tested healthy snack ideas from the Little Dish kitchen…
- Half a slice of wholemeal bread, or raisin toast, spread with a tasty nut butter (like almond, cashew or peanut) and slices of banana or apple
- Try these crispy pitta chips from the Little Dish Family Cookbook. Split the pitta bread in half, cut into six wedges, brush with a little olive oil and sprinkle with sesame seeds and/or Parmesan. Pop on a baking sheet (lined with baking paper) and into a 180 oven for 10mins. Serve with hummus or homemade dips
- A bag of our Go Gos biscuits – there’s raspberry, vanilla or ginger flavour to choose from. They are delicious on their own or can be served with fresh fruit, dips or yoghurt for added goodness
- Finger sandwiches are always a hit. Spread cream cheese on two slices of wholegrain bread. Then top with thinly sliced cucumber, smoked salmon and a little squeeze of lemon. Cut the sandwiches into fingers or triangles
- Homemade popcorn dipped in cinnamon for extra flavour
- Fruit or Cheese and apple ‘kebabs’ are super-easy and lots of fun too
- ‘Tots tapas board’ of cheddar cubes, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, peppers and Pitta bread soldiers with a yummy dip on the side. Try mint, cucumber & yoghurt, hummus or cream cheese dips
- Smashed up avocado on half a slice of wholemeal bread or toasted pitta. (Top tip: avocado is delicious mashed with banana too)
For more healthy snack ideas and family-friendly recipes, try the Little Dish Family Cookbook (£14.99 RRP). Available now from Amazon.