Food / 25 May, 2017 / My Baba
Ice Cream Sandwiches to Bring Out The Sunshine
Why not try out some of these scrummy ice cream sandwich recipes? We’ve made a list of our favourites that will have your jaw-dropping and mouth-watering! We can’t wait to try these ourselves!
Classic Ice Cream Sandwich
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted, plus more for pan
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, (spooned and levelled)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 pints ice cream (any flavour), softened
Preheat oven to 350. Butter a 15-by-10-inch jelly-roll pan; line with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on the two shorter sides.
In a medium bowl, whisk together butter and sugar until combined; whisk in egg, vanilla, and salt until combined. Add flour and cocoa, and mix just until smooth. Spread in prepared baking pan. Bake until cake is dry to the touch and edges begin to pull away from the sides, 10 to 12 minutes. Cool completely in pan.
Using paper overhang, lift cake onto a work surface. With a serrated knife, halve crosswise. Place one half of cake, flat side down, on a large piece of plastic wrap. Spread with ice cream, then top with remaining half of cake, flat side up. Return ice-cream sandwich to baking pan, and wrap tightly in plastic. Freeze until firm, about 2 hours.
Unwrap sandwich; using a serrated knife, cut into 8 rectangles, wiping off blade between each cut. Serve ice-cream sandwiches immediately.
Carrot Cake Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1:1 Baking Flour*
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ¼ cup vegetable oil, or melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup applesauce
- ½ cup almond milk
- 2-3 pints non-dairy ice cream, I used So Delicious Vanilla Coconut Milk Ice Cream**
- Chopped walnuts, if desired
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bring a medium sized pot of water to a boil. Fill a large bowl with ice water and set aside. Once water is boiling, throw in the grated carrots and leave them in for about 45 seconds. Drain carrots and immediately throw them into the ice bath. Once cooled, pat dry, squeeze out any extra water and set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl add flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg and stir. In a large bowl add granulated sugar, brown sugar, and oil. Cream together and then add vanilla, almond milk, and applesauce and mix again. Add dry mixture to wet mixture and beat with an electric mixer until combined. Using a spoon or spatula, stir in carrots.
- Line a 9×13 baking dish with parchment paper. Evenly split the carrot cake batter in half. Spread ½ of the batter into the baking dish. It works best to go slow and use a plastic spatula to spread it out. It may look like there isn’t enough at first, but there will be!
- Bake the carrot cake for about 20 minutes, until cooked through and then place on a wire rack to cool. Then repeat with the remaining half of the batter. While both cakes are cooling, thaw the ice cream.
- Flip one of the carrot cake sheets over and then slide back into a parchment paper lined baking dish. Once ice cream is thawed a bit, place the ice cream in a large bowl and whip with an electric mixture until smooth. Evenly spread the ice cream onto the bottom layer of cake and then slide top layer of cake on the top. Freeze for at least 6 hours, but overnight is ideal.
- When ready to eat, let ice cream sandwiches thaw for a few minutes before cutting. Cut them into whatever shape you desire, I used circle cookie cutters and was able to get 8 ice cream sandwiches.
- If desired, roll the outside of the ice cream sandwiches in chopped walnuts, it works best when the ice cream is slightly melted.
Cinnamon Roll Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 1 tube refrigerated cinnamon rolls
- 1 pt. vanilla ice cream
- Bake cinnamon rolls according to package directions. Let cool completely.
- Halve cinnamon rolls. Top each bottom half with two scoops vanilla ice cream.
- Drizzle with icing from package and freeze until firm, 20 minutes.
Lucky Charms Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 (10 oz.) bag marshmallows
- 6 c. Lucky Charms cereal
- 1 pt. strawberry ice cream
- Grease a medium sheet pan.
- In a large saucepan over low heat, melt butter. Once completely melted, add marshmallows. Stir until completely melted and smooth. Remove from heat and quickly stir in Lucky Charms until well coated.
- Using wax paper or spatula, press mixture into sheet pan until about 1/2″ thick. Let cool at least 20 minutes.
- Using a cookie or biscuit cutter, punch out 8 circles. Place 1 big scoop of strawberry ice cream in between two krispie circles. Press down. Repeat to make 3 more sandwiches.
- Freeze until ready to serve.
Peanut Butter Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 10 tablespoons(1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cupssugar
- 7/8 cups unsweetened cocoa powder (natural or Dutch-process)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, cold
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
- 1/2 cup smooth or chunky peanut butter (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 325°F and line the pans with parchment paper leaving an overhang on two sides of each pan.
- Combine the butter, sugar, cocoa powder and salt in a heatproof bowl or saucepot. Set the bowl atop a saucepot of simmering water to create a double-boiler. Stir the butter from time to time until it’s melted and the mixture is smooth and hot to the touch. Remove the bowl from the double-boiler and set it aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- Using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, stir in the vanilla and then stir in the eggs, one at a time, stirring vigorously between each addition. Once the batter looks well-blended, shiny and thick, stir in the flour until it’s fully incorporated. Spread half of the batter into each of the prepared baking pans.
- Bake the brownies for 10 to 12 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out with a few crumbs. (The brownies should be thin and slightly underbaked so that when they freeze they aren’t too difficult to bite into.) Remove the brownies from the oven and let them cool completely (still in the pans) on a wrack.
- Microwave the ice cream in 10-second intervals, stirring between each interval, until it’s slighty softened, about 20 seconds total. (See Kelly’s Notes.)
- With the brownies still in the pan, spread the softened ice cream on top of one pan of brownies. Dollop the peanut butter on top of the ice cream, and then using a knife or spatula, swirl the ice cream and peanut butter together. Using the overhangs on the second pan, life the brownies out of the pan and transfer them on top of the ice cream top to form a large sandwich. Cover the pan in plastic wrap and freeze it for at least 3 hours, until the ice cream is firm.
- Once firm, unwrap and remove the brownie to a cutting board. Using a serrated knife, slice the brownie in half widthwise and then in fourths lengthwise to form 8 ice cream sandwiches. Serve the ice cream sandwiches immediately or wrap them individually and freeze them until ready to serve.
Peppermint Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 1 lb. Sugar cookie dough
- vanilla ice cream
- Crushed candy canes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Form 1 pound sugar cookie dough into 1 tablespoon balls and place on parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake until lightly golden, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cool, place giant scoop of vanilla ice cream onto one cookie and sandwich with another cookie. Roll in lightly crushed candy canes and freeze until firm.
Honey-Vanilla Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 1 pt. honey-vanilla ice cream
- 12 very thin oval (4″ by 2″ each) butter wafer cookies
- 1 lb. fresh cherries
- Working quickly, spread ice cream on 6 cookies, using 1/3 cup for each; top with remaining 6 cookies. Place ice cream sandwiches on cookie sheet in freezer to harden ice cream. Serve with bowl of cherries.
Double Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon espresso powder
- â…” cup Dutch process cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups dark chocolate chunks
- 2 14-ounce packages ice cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking sheet mat.
- In bowl of electric mixer, cream butter and sugars until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, creaming well in between each egg addition. Add vanilla and blend.
- In separate bowl, sift flour, espresso powder, cocoa, baking soda and kosher salt. Mix in half of flour mixture to sugar mixture and mix. Add remaining half and mix. Mix in chocolate chunks.
- Drop cookies by rounded tablespoon onto baking sheets. Bake 12 minutes. Remove from oven and move to cooling rack to cool completely.
- Once cookies have cooled completely, remove ice cream from freezer and let sit at room temperature for 3-5 minutes to soften slightly. Set ice cream container on its side. With sharp, serrated knife, cut through ice cream container into ½ to ¾ inch rounds.
- Working quickly, remove wrapper and place slice of ice cream on bottom side of cookie, then top with another cookie. Repeat with remaining cookies and serve immediately or wrap individually in plastic wrap, place in a freezer bag and freeze for later.
Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 2 chocolate chip cookies
- 2 scoops Neapolitan ice cream
- Rainbow sprinkles, for rolling
- Top one cookie (flipped upside down) with ice cream and sandwich with another cookie.
- Roll in sprinkles and freeze until firm, 20 minutes.
Strawberry Ice Cream Brownie Sandwiches
- 1lb. strawberries, sliced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 large whole egg
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 oz. freeze dried strawberries , finely ground to powder
- 2 cups heavy cream
- To roast strawberries: Toss sliced strawberries with sugar, spread onto baking sheet in a single layer. Roast at 375°F for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and transfer to a blender and puree. Transfer the puree to a bowl and chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours or overnight
- Preparation: Lightly grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan (this will prevent the plastic wrap from shifting around in the pan) and the line pan with plastic wrap, leaving a 4-inch overhang on each side. Set aside.
- Fill a medium saucepan with water and bring to a simmer over medium heat. In a standmixer bowl whisk together egg yolks, whole egg, sugar and salt. Set the bowl over the simmering water, making sure the bottom does not touch the water. Whisk the mixture continuously until it reaches 175°F. Transfer the bowl to the standmixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat on medium-high speed until mixture doubles in volume and is cool to the touch. Add the freeze-dried strawberries and beat until well combined. Turn off mixer and fold in strawberry puree. Set aside.
- In a second bowl, beat heavy cream until soft peaks form. Add half of the whipped cream to the whipped egg mixture and fold until just streaky. Add in remaining whipped cream and fold until well combined and no streaks remain. Pour the mixture into prepared loaf pan. Cover and freeze for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- *Note: The freeze dried strawberries provide are highly concentrated and give this ice cream a bright burst of flavour and provide a nice shot of colour. Freeze dried strawberries can be found in most supermarkets.