Food / 10 October, 2022 / My Baba
Lorraine Pascale’s Crumbly Peanut Butter Squares
We love this delicious recipe from Lorraine Pascale’s Fast, Fresh and Easy Food cookbook, available on Amazon.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes.
- Firming up time: 30 minutes (in the freezer)
- Makes 16 squares
- 150g (5 oz) butter
- 200g (7 oz) plain (at least 60% cocoa solids) or milk chocolate (or a mixture of both)
- 250g (9 oz) digestive biscuits
- 200g (7 oz) soft light brown sugar
- 300g (11 oz) crunchy peanut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
20cm (8 in) square tin, large pan,small bowl, microwave or small pan, blender or food processor,
- Line a 20cm (8 in) square tin with baking parchment, leaving some excess paper hang over the edges (this makes it easier to lift out once set).
- Put the butter in a large pan and leave to melt slowly over a low heat.
- Snap the chocolate into squares and throw into a small bowl. Then melt in the microwave in 30 second blasts, stirring well between each addition or sit the bowl over a pan over simmering water. Make sure that the bottom of the pan does not touch the water or the chocolate may ‘seize’ and go really grainy and stiff.
- Remove the butter from the heat if melted.
- Blitz the digestive biscuits and brown sugar in a blender or food processor to give fine crumbs. Tip them into the butter and scoop in the peanut butter and vanilla extract and mix together well so everything is combined.
- Tip the mixture into the lined tin and press it down really hard with the back of the spoon. It needs to be really compact and tight. Then pour over the melted chocolate, tilting the tin back and forth a bit so that the whole thing is evenly covered. Pop in the freezer for 30 minutes to firm up (or the fridge for 1 hour).
- Once the chocolate is set, remove it from the freezer (or fridge). Lift it out of the tin with the help of the baking parchment. Remove the paper and then use a sharp knife to divide it into 16 squares and serve.
These will last for a few days in an airtight container.
Recipe by Lorraine Pascale, taken from Fast, Fresh and Easy Food.
6 Gut Friendly Recipes For Breakfast, Lunch And Dinner
Plant-Based Food Recipes For The Whole Family