It is almost time for us to buy our advent calendars and start the count down to Christmas! This year I wanted to do something a little bit different, something that embraces the spirit of Christmas. Everyday, when we turn around a new circle, we get something different; one day it might be a yummy chocolate ball or the title of a Christmas song, or it may just be something we have to do to bring a little bit of joy to someone else. Some of the ways we are going to bring joy to others include:
- Donating a toy
- Donating some clothes
- Christmas carolling at a neighbour’s house
- Wishing Happy Christmas to random people
- Giving Christmas cards to people we would normal forget (like shop keepers, bin men or those that keep our streets clean)
- Taking a hot meal to a homeless person
To make your own Advent calendar you will need:
- Paints and brushes
- Metallic pens
- Mini craft pegs (I got ours from John Lewis)
- Draw 25 circles on the cardboard and cut them out.
- Paint them on one side.
- On the other side decorate them how ever you please; I used Decoupage paper but you could easily do the same with wrapping paper or pictures cut out from magazines.
- Once everything has dried paint or write the numbers on the side you decorated. On the painted side write the task/treat/lyrics etc.
- Hang up your ribbon and clip the days to it using the craft pegs. I have the chocolate in a separate place so that it isn’t on display to tempt little (or big) hands.
I wish you all a very happy and joyful advent.
By Nanny Anita