- 6 eating apples, peeled, cored and cut into heart shapes
- 400g or golden caster sugar
- 100ml of warm water
- Squeeze half a lemon into a bowl, and add a 100ml of cold water
- Cut the apples into heart shapes and put them into the lemon water
- Remove the heart shapes from the lemon water, dry with kitchen roll and place in the fridge
- Put the sugar and warm water in a pan over a medium heat, continue to stir for five minutes until sugar is fully dissolved, add a teaspoon of vinegar (preferably cider or white wine vinegar)
- Continue to stir, take a bowl of icy cold water and you should be able to dribble a tiny bit of mixture onto a spoon and when you pull back out, it should set hard and crack – that’s when you’ll know that toffee is ready
- You’ll need to work quickly – if the toffee starts to harden place it back on a low heat. Take the apple hearts, pop onto sticks, and roll in the toffee
- Smear golden syrup onto a baking tray
- Once you’ve dipped and rolled your toffee apples, place onto golden syrup and leave until they are set and hard
Be sure to eat them as soon as soon they’re set!
Do not place in fridge, and do not leave for over four hours.
By Nanny Ashley