Serves: 16 portions
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
- 2 Lyons Coffee Bags No.3
- 100ml freshly boiled water
- 175g dark chocolate
- 175g butter
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 250g caster sugar
- 100g plain flour
- 25g dark chocolate, chopped
- Pour 100ml of freshly boiled water into a measuring jug, add the Lyons Coffee Bags and leave them to brew for four minutes, occasionally stirring and squeezing them.
- Preheat the oven to 160ºC fan/180ºC conventional/gas 4. Line a 20cm square tin with non-stick baking parchment.
- Place the chocolate and butter into a heatproof bowl and suspend above a saucepan that is one third filled with hot water. Melt the mixture over a medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, but do not allow the water to boil. Once the mixture has melted, remove from the heat and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Beat the eggs with sugar and vanilla using an electric hand whisk or a food processor. Keep whisking for two-three minutes until the mixture is pale, thick and glossy.
- Remove the coffee bags from the jug, squeezing out the last bit of coffee. Pour into the egg mixture, along with the melted butter and chocolate, and then sift the flour over the mixture. Use a metal spoon or spatula to gently fold in until the ingredients are well combined. Be careful not to over-mix or stir too vigorously.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and sprinkle over the chopped chocolate, then bake for 20 minutes. Note that the middle should still be slightly gooey inside. If the brownies are too soft for your liking, cook for another three minutes and check again.
- Allow the brownies to cool in the tin before lifting out and cutting into individual squares.
Recipe by Lyons Coffee