Tom Aikens chose Hannah Tyrrel’s Lovely Lamb Stew as the winner of My Baba’s Recipe Competition. Congratulations, Hannah!
Here is the winning recipe, a hearty family meal, perfect for a dark, wet and windy autumn’s evening!
- 750g diced lamb
- plain flour to coat lamb
- 250g carrots
- 250g butternut squash
- 250g swede
- 250g celeriac
- 1 large onion
- 300ml undiluted fresh chicken stock or lamb stock
- 800g white potatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 slow cooker
- Put the lamb in a large bowl and coat with plain flour. Add a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a frying pan on high heat; add the lamb, brown off to seal it.
- Place in slow cooker on top of bay leaf.
- Chop and fry the onion in same lamb frying pan, brown it off then add to slow cooker.
- Pour all stock into the frying pan, add 300ml of cold water, and simmer on low heat.
- Peel all vegetables, slice into large similar sized chunks.
- Mix up and throw into the slow cooker.
- Add a sprinkle of turmeric.
- Pour diluted stock into slow cooker. It should virtually cover all ingredients.
- Cook on low heat for 5 hours.
- Serve in a large bowl, mashed potato optional.