For the cod burgers:
- 1.5kg (3lb) cod fillet, skinless and boneless, diced
- 4 banana shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 5tbsp flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 5tbsp basil, chopped
- 3 eggs
- 250g (8oz) breadcrumbs
- 10 burger buns
- 3 beef tomatoes, sliced
- 200g (7oz) rocket, washed
- 120ml (4fl oz) olive oil
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
For the tomato ketchup:
- 1kg (2lb) tomato, washed and chopped
- 1 red onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 10 black peppercorns
- 2tsp thyme, chopped
- ½ cinnamon stick
- 50g (2oz) caster sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 150ml (5fl oz) red wine vinegar
- 1tbsp olive oil
- To make the tomato ketchup, place a pan over a medium heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Once hot, add the onion and garlic and cook for 2 minutes until soft and translucent.
- Ask you helper to wrap the peppercorns into a muslin cloth.
- Add the cinnamon, tomatoes, thyme, sugar, peppercorn bundle and bay leaves into the pan.
- Leave to cook for 15 minutes, or until the tomatoes have broken down and their liquid has been released.
- Cook until all the liquid has reduced and the tomatoes start to catch. Then turn up the heat, add the vinegar and boil for 5 minutes.
- Remove the cinnamon stick, bay leaves and peppercorns. Transfer the contents of the pan into a blender and pulse until smooth then pass through a sieve.
- Transfer into a container and leave to cool. The ketchup will keep for 1 week in the fridge or 1 month in the freezer.
- To start the cod burgers, heat oil inside a frying pan over a medium heat. Once hot, add the shallots and garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour the mixture from the pan and set aside to cool.
- You may have to do this in 2 batches – into a food processor, blend the cod for 1 minute.
- Into a mixing bowl, ask your little helper to scrape the fish into the shallot mixture. Add the parsley, basil, eggs and breadcrumbs and mix well. Season with salt and pepper.
- Do a tester first before cooking the whole patty mix. Taste and adjust the seasoning if you wish.
- Ask your helper to divide the mixture into medium sized 100g balls to mould into patties.
- Lay the patties onto a tray and refrigerate until needed, a great step for your helper to do. When you are ready to cook, preheat your oven to Gas Mark 6, 200°C, 180°C.
- Over a medium heat, place a frying pan with 2 tbsp of olive oil. Once hot, fry the patties for 2 minutes each side or until golden.
- Transfer the patties onto a baking tray and cook for a further 3 minutes in the oven.
- Whilst cooking, slice your rolls and drizzle with olive oil. Ask your helper to top with a slice or 2 of tomato and rocket.
- Remove the patties from the oven and place on top of the rocket. Top with a dollop of tomato ketchup and if preferred, serve with more dressed rocket leaves and tomatoes.
Recipe by Tesco realfood