Boost your beneficial gut bacteria with a range of prebiotic vegetables in this quick, delicious pesto chicken dish. Oven baked for less hassle & washing up, it is a hit with both adults and children. Prebiotics are the fibre in food that act as fuel for helpful gut bacteria. This recipe contains a range of different prebiotic vegetables to support your microbiome : cannellini beans peas & asparagus. If asparagus is out of season, try using fine green beans instead – they are another good source of prebiotic fibre. I’ve used pre cut mini chicken breast fillets for ease of preparation here, but you can swap in standard chicken breasts if you prefer, just cut them into smaller strips before you bake them. This recipe makes enough for 2 adults. Double or triple quantities as needed to feed your family.
Preparation time : 10 mins
Cooking time : 30 mins
Total 40 mins
- 400g chicken mini breast fillets
- 1/2 tsp fine table salt (optional)
- 3 tbsp fresh pesto
- 3tbsp crème fraiche (full fat)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 100g frozen peas (petit pois)
for the cannellini beans
- 1 x 400g tin cannellini beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 tsp chicken stock concentrate
- freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tsp olive oil
- a handful of sun blush tomatoes
- 10 fresh basil leaves
- extra virgin olive oil (optional)
- 200g fine green beans or asparagus
- If time permits, 30 mins before cooking, shake ½ tsp salt over the chicken fillets for flavoursome, tender meat.
- Set the oven to 180c.
- Bring the chicken to room temperature
- In an medium ovenproof dish with a lid, mix the pesto with the crème fraiche & add a twist of freshly ground black pepper. Toss in the chicken fillets, and stir to coat thoroughly with the sauce.
- Bake for 15 minutes, add the frozen peas, stir, cook for a further 5-10 minutes, checking chicken & peas for doneness. The chicken juices should run clear. Be careful not to overcook as chicken breast meat dries out fast.
- Whilst the chicken cooks, tip the cannellini beans into a medium sized ovenproof dish. Mix the chicken stock concentrate with 50ml boiling water, stir thoroughly & pour over the beans along with the extra virgin olive oil. Add a grind of fresh black pepper. Using a fork, gently crush the beans into a rough mash, incorporating the oil & stock. Cover (foil is fine) and cook for 5-10 minutes until warmed through.
- Meanwhile, cook the green beans or asparagus according to pack instructions.
- Warm your plates & serve the chicken, green beans or asparagus onto a bed of cannellini bean mash. Spoon over the sauce & tear over some fresh basil leaves. Finish with a few sunblush tomatoes. Drizzle over a little extra virgin olive oil to taste.
Prebiotic ingredients : asparagus / peas / cannellini beans
Recipe by Rebecca Waldron at Food For Flora visit for more fast, foolproof & family friendly recipes to boost your microbiome.