- 200g unsalted butter, softened
- 200g caster sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
- 1 medium egg, lightly beaten
- 400g plain sifted flour, plus extra for dusting
- Place the butter, sugar, vanilla extract and salt into a bowl and cream together. Do not overwork, or the cookies will spread during baking.
- Slowly pour the beaten egg into the mixture while whisking until well incorporated.
- Add the flour and mix on low speed until just combined.
- Gather the dough into a ball, wrap in clingfilm and chill for at least 30 minutes or until cool and firm.
- Briefly knead the dough, place onto a floured surface and roll it out until about 5mm thick.
- Cut out the heart shapes and place them onto an oven tray lined with greaseproof paper.
- Chill for another 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees celsius and bake the cookies for about 6 to 10 minutes until the edges are golden brown.
- Allow to cool completely before decorating them.
- 250g white sugar paste
- 100g white flower paste (you can get this from places such as Squires Kitchen)
- 1tsp white vegetable fat (Trex or white Flora)
- 1/2 tsp rose water
- Pink gel food colour (we like dusky pink/wine from Sugar Flair)
- Edible gold lustre
- Small amount of vodka
- 2tbsp icing sugar
- Mix the flower paste until smooth and pliable, if it is sticky you can add the vegetable fat
- Combine the flower and sugar paste to make a smooth paste, then add the rose water
- Create three shades of pink by gradually adding the food colouring to the paste mix (keep paste covered with cling film if not using to prevent it from drying
- Lightly dust a smooth kitchen surface with icing sugar and roll each paste colour out until about 1mm thick
- Cut out different heart shapes using the same heart cookie cutters used for baking
- Mix a small amount of icing sugar with some water to make a thick glue consistency. Thinly brush it over the cookies, then place your heart sugar shapes on top of each cookie
- Mix a few drops of vodka with the edible gold lustre to a create a thick paint
- Dip a (new) toothbrush or a wide artist brush with firm bristles into the golden paint and splash it over the hearts
- Let the paint and sugar paste dry and enjoy!
If stored in an airtight container they will last for up to 6 weeks.