Put down the gadgets and pledge to spend more creative time with your kids!
Pledge 2 Play is a brand new campaign launched by directors of two creative kids’ brands, Aly Cranston and Jennifer Duthie (recently nominated as a Shell LiveWire finalist for ‘Entrepreneur of the year’).
Aly from The Rainy Day Box Co and Jennifer from Skribbies came together through their shared passion of getting kids back into more creative and traditional play with a little less gadgetry. This is now a message that Aly and Jennifer are beginning to spread with their new campaign Pledge 2 Play. The campaign encourages grownups to put down the gadgets and provides creative support to help them Pledge 2 hrs per week to spend creatively with their little ones.
In a world with an ever-increasing number of technological mediums the balance between electronic and traditional play can get a little uneven. Whilst there is a great place for learning through apps, computers and TV it is often an activity of solitude. Pledge 2 Play is all about encouraging parents to redress this balance and make a conscious effort to interact as a family in a creative way on a regular basis.
How does it work?
- Commit to a regular time each day or week to spend the 2 hours creatively with your kids; it could be 30 minutes every other day or 2 hours over the weekend.
- Turn off or place in another room all electronic mediums TV’s, iPads, computers and phones.
- Engage with your child in a FUN activity (not homework), it could be going for a walk, cooking together, making things, drawing or story-telling.
What are the benefits?
- Children’s imagination and creativity can improve considerably from this time together.
- Little ones may use the time to open up about things that are on their mind.
- Family relationships can improve and become stronger.
- You could notice an improvement in behaviour.
But I already do this:
That’s great, most families do engage in some traditional play. By joining the ‘Pledge 2 Play’ you’re showing your support for this ethos and giving yourself that gentle reminder to spend more time together. Pledge 2 Play will send you creative ideas, tips and exclusive deals to assist you in spending quality play time with your children.
In short: Let’s up the creativity and spend more creative time together as a family with a little less gadgetry.
Join the crusade now and show your support by signing up here.
By Jennifer Duthie