Periods… yes, those things. Let’s be honest they aren’t the best time of the month. They can often leave you feeling tired, bloated and irritable. In fact, 85% of menstruating women experience one or more PMS symptoms each cycle. Curling up with a blanket and tucking into a tub of Ben and Jerry’s can be want you yearn to do, but in fact, fuelling your body with healthy nutrients to help alleviate these PMS symptoms is the better option! The fatty acids found in snacks such as nuts will help optimise energy levels, boost your mood, and relax mood swings. So steer clear of the junk food and grab a healthy alternative packed with sodium, which will also reduce bloating.
- 80g Pip & Nut Almond Butter
- 200g greek yoghurt
- 1 large ripe banana
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 120g light brown sugar
- 220g plain flour
- 50g rolled oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 65g blueberries
- 75g medjool dates
- Heat your oven to 160 degrees.
- Put the almond butter, yoghurt, banana, egg, vanilla and sugar into a bowl and beat until a batter is formed.
- Stir in the oats, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt until just combined.
- Stir in the blueberries and dates.
- Spoon the batter into lined muffin tins to about ¾ full. Sprinkle each muffin with light brown sugar, flaked almonds and seeds (if you want to).
- Bake for 20- 25 minutes, then leave to cool in the trays.