This brilliant and very seasonal recipe is suitable for babies from 7-8 Months, once they’ve mastered the art of chewing, that is. This recipe is a great source of beta carotene, iron, vitamin C, & potassium.
Serves: 1 baby and family of 4
1 tbsp olive oil
1 diced brown onion
Crushed garlic cloves
275 g (9¾ oz/1¼ cups) arborio rice
1 litre (35 fl oz/4 cups) chicken stock
200 g (7 oz) peeled and chopped jap (kent) pumpkin (squash)
25 g (1 oz/¼ cup) finely grated parmesan
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat.
- Add 1 diced brown onion and cook for 3 minutes until soft.
- Add 2 crushed garlic cloves and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add 275 g (9¾ oz/1¼ cups) arborio rice and stir gently for 1 minute.
- Add 1 litre (35 fl oz/4 cups) chicken stock (homemade is best as it’s less salty, or use a reduced-salt one) and 200 g (7 oz) peeled and chopped jap (kent) pumpkin (squash).
- Cook, stirring regularly, for 20 minutes or until the rice is al dente and the pumpkin is soft.
- Remove from the heat and stir through 25 g (1 oz/¼ cup) finely grated parmesan.
- Serve and enjoy!
Try: Substitute butternut squash if jap is unavailable. It has a sweeter flavour
(similar to a mix between pumpkin and sweet potato) that your baby will love.
Baby Pip Eats by Amie Harper (Murdoch Books, £9.99). Photography by Amie Harper.