These rainbow cakes make a nice little surprise for any pack lunch. This recipe will make about 12 cupcakes.
Make sure you follow my sweet things board on Pinterest for more ideas. Don’t forget to save the pin for later.
- 200g white sugar
- 115g butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 190g plain flour
- 1 and 1/2 tsp of baking powder
- 120ml milk
- different food colourings
I have tried this before with bog standard food colourings that you get in the local supermarket but the colours did not turn out so well. This time I used a paste by Squires Kitchen which gave me the most vivid colours.
1. Start by preheating your oven to 175c
2. Cream together your sugar and butter. If you are using an unsalted butter then add a pinch of salt into the mix when you add the flour.
3. Add your eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla.
4. Add your flour and baking powder (and pinch of salt IF you are using an unsalted butter). Mix it all together until the mixture is nice and smooth.
5. Finally add the milk. I found that if I mixed it together for a little bit longer and on a higher setting on the cake mixer then I ended up with a nice light and fluffy cake once it had been baked.
6. Divide the mixture up into different bowls. I did a complete rainbow the first time I did it and then just 4 different colours the second time I made them. Add your different food dyes to each bowl and mix together well.
7. Add a spoonful of each colour to each cupcake dish, don’t add too much or it will all spill over when you are cooking it.
8. Cook it for around 20-25 minutes or until a knife comes out clean, let it stand for a while on a wire rack then sit back and enjoy your tasty treat.
Pin for later: