- 250g (8oz) unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 250g (8oz) caster sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 200g (7oz) self-raising flour, sifted
- 50g (2oz) ground almonds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 lemons, zested
- splash milk, if needed
For the filling:
- 100g (3 1/2oz) mascarpone
- 200ml (7fl oz) whipping cream
- 3 tbsp icing sugar
- 200g (7oz) frozen raspberries, defrosted and drained
For the Icing:
- 125g (4oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 175g (6oz) icing sugar
- 1 lemon, finely zested
- 2 tbsp milk
- pink food colouring
- edible rose petals, to decorate
- Preheat the oven to gas 4, 180°C, fan 160°C. Grease and line 3 x 18cm (8in) loose-bottomed cake tins and set aside.
- In a bowl, beat the butter and sugar with an electric whisk, until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then fold in the flour, almonds, baking powder and lemon zest (if the mixture feels too thick, add a splash of milk – it should fall off a spoon when tapped).
- Divide the mixture evenly between the three tins and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Turn out on to wire racks to cool.
- Meanwhile, make the filling. In a large bowl, whip the mascarpone with the cream and icing sugar, until stiff enough to just hold its shape. Fold in the raspberries and set aside.
- For the icing, beat the butter and icing sugar in a bowl, until light and fluffy. Add the lemon zest, milk and a few drops of food colouring, until the desired shade of pink is reached.
- To assemble, put one sponge on a serving plate and spread with half the filling mixture. Top with the second sponge and repeat with the remaining filling. Top with the third and final sponge. Using a spatula, spread the frosting over the cake and scatter over the rose petals.