Makes 6-8 burgers, depending on the size
- 3 cups / 750 ml grated raw beetroots (approx. 4-5 beets)
- 1,5 cups / 375 ml / 150 g rolled oats or flakes of your choice
- 1 small onion
- 7 oz / 200 g sheep’s feta cheese or firm tofu
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp cold-pressed olive oil
- 2 organic eggs
- 1 handful fresh basil
- Toppings: lettuce or cabbage, mango, avocado, tomatoes, onions
- Peel and grate beets, onion and garlic on a box grater or use a food processor with the grating blades attached.
- Place the grated vegetables in a large mixing bowl.
- Add olive oil, eggs and rolled oats and mix everything well.
- Add sheep’s cheese or tofu, basil, salt and pepper and stir to combine. Set aside for about 30 minutes, so the oats can soak up the liquid and the mixture sets (this step is important for the patties to hold together).
- Try shaping a patty with your hands. If the mixture is to loose, add some more oats.
- Form 6-8 patties with your hands.
- Grill the beetroot burgers a couple of minutes on each side – or fry them in a frying pan by heating a knob of coconut oil or ghee and fry until golden on both sides.
- Serve with grilled sourdough bread and toppings of your choice.