- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- ½ cup flour
- 2 cups water, divided
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- ¼ cup cooked, crumbled bacon (optional)
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons seasoning (like Emeril’s Essence or any basic blend you like)
- ¼ cup shredded Gruyere cheese (any kind will work)
- 3 cups fresh broccoli florets
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and generously grease a 9×13 baking dish (seriously, be generous because it really really sticks to the sides).
- Bring the chicken broth and ½ cup milk to a low boil in a saucepan.
- Whisk the other ½ cup milk with the poultry seasoning and flour; add the mixture to the boiling liquid and whisk until a smooth creamy sauce forms.
- In a large bowl, mix the sauce from step one, one cup water, quinoa, and bacon and stir to combine.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Slice the chicken breasts into thin strips and lay the chicken breasts strips over the top of the quinoa mixture.
- Sprinkle with the seasoning. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
- While the casserole is in the oven, place the broccoli in boiling water for 1 minute until it turns bright green and then run under cold water.
- Set aside.
- Remove the casserole from the oven, check the mixture by stirring it around in the pan, and if needed, bake for an additional 10-15 minutes to get the right consistency.
- When the quinoa and chicken are cooked and the sauce is thickened, add the broccoli and a little bit of water (up to one cup) until the consistency is creamy and smooth and you can stir it up easily in the pan.
- Top with the cheese and bake for 5 minutes, or just long enough to melt the cheese.
Recipe by Pinch of Yum
For competitions and offers from our favourite brands, click here.