Food / 10 April, 2019 / My Baba
Mouth-Watering Easter Meringue Nests
The perfect sweet treat for all the family, these soft and gooey meringues are topped with whipped cream and chocolate eggs.
Prep 25 mins
Cook time 60 mins
For the Meringues:
- 4 Free Range Egg White Powder Sachets (or 4 medium egg whites)
- 200 g caster sugar
- Extra Strong Pink Food Colour Gel
- Extra Strong Yellow Food Colour Gel
- Extra Strong Blue Food Colour Gel
- 1 can of whipped cream
- 100g chocolate eggs
- Heat oven to 140 C / 120 C Fan / Gas 1.
- Make up the Egg White Powder as directed on pack and transfer to a large grease-free bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl, using a hand-whisk, whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gradually add the caster sugar, one tablespoon at a time, whisking continuously until you have a shiny, stiff mixture.
- Spoon the meringue into three separate bowls and add 4-5 drops of one Dr. Oetker gel food colouring to each bowl. Stir the meringue through a few times to create a marbling effect with the food colouring – be careful not to over-stir.
- Place a piping bag with a star nozzle fitting in a jug and fold down the edges. Carefully fill the piping bag 2/3’s of the way with one of the meringue mixes. Twist the top of the piping bag to secure it.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Pipe a small amount of meringue under each corner of the parchment paper to secure it.
- To pipe the meringues, start by piping a circle around 3” in diameter from the outside in. Pipe two more circles on top of the outer edge to complete, so you have a nest. Repeat this seven more times using all three meringue mixes.
- Transfer the meringues to the oven and bake for 1 hour. Once cooked, turn the oven off and leave the meringues in the oven for at least two hours, or overnight if possible.
- Once the meringues have cooled and set, pipe the canned whipped cream into the centre of the meringues. Top with mini chocolate eggs and Easter confectionary to serve.
Recipe from Dr. Oetker
Delicious Spiced Apple Cake With Cinnamon and Lemon Zest – It’s A Fruity Delight!
Top 10 Easter Treats to Make with The Kids
For competitions and offers from our favourite brands, click here.