London reflexologist Keah Lan shares her insights into how reflexology can help with fertility and pregnancy.
How can reflexology help boost fertility in both women and men?
The theory of reflexology is that organs, nerves, glands and parts of the body are connected to reflex areas or points on the feet and hands. By stimulating these areas you can create a direct response in the related body area. For example, by working on the pituitary and ovary reflex points you can help activate the body’s own healing processes to help stimulate ovulation.
Reflexology encourages the body’s own healing processes, facilitating vital energy; helping to improve your immune system, creating a stronger body and calmer mind.
How reflexology boosts fertility
Reflexology can boost fertility in woman and men by working these points:
- Pituitary – this is the master gland and produces many of the hormones regulating the menstrual cycle.
- Hypothalamus – as it regulates the Pituitary hormone production.
- Thyroid – as an over / under active thyroid function can impact fertility.
- Solar plexus – particularly if the client is stressed.
- Reproductive organs – ovary / testicles stimulates the gland to produce sex cells and hormones.
- Fallopian tubes / Vas Deferens: stimulate the points to release any blockage that may exist.
- Uterus / Prostate gland – to increase the blood circulation and promote normal functioning.
In addition, the following aspects of the client’s life should be examined to determine if they are conducive to a healthy body and mind:
- Diet (for correct levels of minerals, vitamins, consumption).
- Lifestyle (time for relaxation, stress – can they learn to manage it, exercise etc).
- Time for self – in some case this may be the treatment itself.
Does reflexology hurt?
Yes it can, particularly in areas of congestion i.e. if one suffers from hormonal problems like polycystic ovaries, the area around the ovaries on the foot might be tender when worked on.
How many treatments would I need?
For this particular case I usually advise my clients to have about ten sessions, but you can feel it work after 1 session, you might sleep better or notice hormonal changes immediately.
Reflexology for pregnancy
What are the benefits of having reflexology during pregnancy?
- Tranquil relaxation and reduce stress.
- Relief from muscle cramps, spasms and myofascial pain, especially in the lower back, neck, hips, legs.
- Increase in blood lymph and circulation, which can reduce swelling.
- Reduce stress on weight-bearing joints.
- Improve outcome of labour and ease labour pain.
- Provides support for the mother with physical and emotional strains of mothering.
How many treatments would I need?
This depends on the person having the treatment and how they are emotionally and physically dealing with their pregnancy, some will have it once a week, where others only when they feel they need it i.e. during the first few weeks when one experiences morning sickness, one might have it more often.
Can reflexology cause miscarriage?
One is advised not to have reflexology during the first 20 weeks of pregnancy, especially if one has a history of miscarriage. I have worked with clients from the second week of pregnancy and it has always been fine. Ensure you choose an experienced therapist in this field and always consult your GP.
Article by Keah Lan, Reflexologist, Senses by Keah.