Layers of meringue, smooth whipped cream and a sharp taste of raspberry come together to make this elegant pastel dessert.
Prep time: 25 minutes plus cooling
Cooking time: 45 minutes
- 4 sachets of free range egg white powder
- 250g (plus 50g) caster sugar
- A few drops of colour gel blue
- A few drops of colour gel pink
- A few drops of colour gel violet
- A few drops of colour gel orange
- 400g rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 3cm lengths
- 200g raspberries
- 330ml whipping cream
- Put the egg white powder in a bowl, mix with 8tsp of warm water until smooth, gradually mix in 8tsp of warm water until combined.
- Heat the oven to 140C, 120C fan, gas 2. Line 2 large baking sheets with baking parchment and draw 4 x 17cm circles on each of them to use as templates.
- Whisk the eggs on a low speed at first, turning up the speed gradually to medium, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Add 250g of the sugar 1tbsp at a time mixing well after each addition. Divide the meringue between 4 bowls and very gently fold into each, a few drops from one of the food colouring gels. Using a spatula, spread each mixture into a template on the baking sheets. Bake for 45 mins then leave to cool in the oven.
- Meanwhile in a wide saucepan heat the remaining sugar and 2tbsp of water until melted and, add the rhubarb and turn up the heat slightly. Poach for 6 mins of until tender. Using a slotted spoon transfer the tender rhubarb to a plate and the juices to a small saucepan, bubble for a few mins or until syrupy. Once cooled mix with the rhubarb and raspberries.
- Whip the cream until softly peaking. Put one of the meringues on a serving dish spread with some of the cream, then drizzle over some of the rhubarb and raspberry mixture and juices, repeat with the remaining layers leaving the top plain.
Recipe from Dr. Oetker
For competitions and offers from our favourite brands, click here.