Food / 6 August, 2017 / My Baba
Saturday Breakfast Egg Cups
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 140g/5oz mushrooms, chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
- 4 crusty rolls, preferably wholegrain
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tbsp snipped chives (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Lightly brush a baking sheet with oil.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Fry the mushrooms for 5 minutes, stirring regularly, until there is no trace of liquid and they start to colour. Stir in the garlic and cook for another 1 minute.
- Meanwhile, slice off the top third of each roll to make a lid. Pull out most of the crumbs inside to leave a ½ cm in-thick shell (saving the breadcrumbs for another recipe). Brush the rolls and lids all over, inside and out, with more oil and place the rolls on the baking sheet.
- When the mushrooms are ready, divide them evenly among the hollowed-out rolls. Crack an egg into each one. Brush the yolks with a little oil, then bake for 5 minutes. Put the roll lids on the baking sheet and return it to the oven for another 15 minutes until the egg whites are set and the lids are crisp. Serve the egg cups with their lids by the side. You could sprinkle a few chives over the eggs before serving, if you like.
Extracted from: Vegetarian Food for Healthy Kids © Nicola Graimes published by Nourish Books, London Paperback £12.99, commissioned photography by Tony Briscoe