- 3 tbsp oil, for frying
- 8 sausages
- 2 red or white onions, sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 240g pearl barley, rinsed with cold water
- 2 sprigs rosemary, leaves finely chopped
- 1 litre chicken or veg stock
- Salt and black pepper
- 300g cavolo nero or other kale, leaves stripped from the stalks and roughly chopped
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a large frying pan. Add all of the sausages and fry for 10-12 minutes, turning now and then, until nicely browned all over. Transfer the sausages to a plate and set aside.
- Add another 1 tbsp of oil to the pan. Gently fry the onion and carrot for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened.
- Add the barley, stir for a minute, then add the rosemary and stock. Season well with salt and black pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes, then return the sausages to the pan. Simmer for another 20 minutes.
- Add the chopped kale and simmer for another 5-10 minutes, until wilted. Check the seasoning before serving.
Recipe from the guardian