Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 4-6 minutes
- 20 scallops
- sesame oil, for brushing
- 20 coriander/cilantro leaves
- 20 thin slices of pickled ginger
Thai Dipping Sauce
- 2 tbsp Thai fish sauce
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp finely chopped garlic
- 1 tsp finely chopped red chilli
- 1 spring onion/scallion, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp finely chopped peanuts
- 2½ tsp chopped peeled cucumber
- 1½ tbsp palm sugar or dark brown sugar
Make the dipping sauce by stirring the ingredients together until the sugar has dissolved, then pour into a small serving bowl.
Brush the scallops lightly with sesame oil. Lay them on the grill rack and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until they just change colour, turning once. Take care not to overcook.
Remove from the rack and pierce each scallop onto a toothpick, adding a coriander/cilantro leaf and a slice of pickled ginger. Serve with the dipping sauce.
Recipe extracted from I Love My Barbecue © Hilaire Walden, 2017 published by Nourish Books, London Paperback